25 Example of Report Text with Answer
Direction: answer the following questions correctly by choosing A, B, C, or D.
The following text is for questions number 1 to 4.
Jellyfish are not really fish. They are invertebrate animals. This means that unlike fish or people, they have no backbones. In fact, they have no bones at all.
Jellyfish have stomachs and mouths, but no heads. They have nervous systems for sensing the world around them, but no brains. They are made almost entirely of water which is why you can look through them.
Some jellyfish can glow in darkness by making their own light. The light is made by a chemical reaction inside the jellyfish. Scientists believe jellyfish glow for several reasons. For example, they may glow to scare away predators or to attract animals they like to eat.
Most jellyfish live in saltwater, apart from a few types that live in freshwater. Jellyfish are found in oceans and seas all over the world. They live in warm, tropical seas, and in icy waters near the north and south poles.
1. Which one creates Jellyfish’s light?
- White blood
- Nervous system
- Chemical reaction
2. Based on the text, we know that.
- They belong to invertebrate animals.
- They have heads like other animals.
- Their brain helps them find food.
- They cannot live in freshwater.
3. What is the text about?
- Kinds of all fish
- All invertebrate animals
- Some kinds of sea animals
4. Some jellyfish can glow in darkness by making their own light. The word glow in the sentence means …
The following text is for questions number 5 to 8.
Gardenia plants are popular for the strong sweet scent of their flowers. Gardenia is the national flower in Pakistan. In Japan and China, the flower is called Kuchinashi (Japanese) and Zhi Zi (China).
Gardenia plants are evergreen shrubs. Their small trees can grow to 1-5 meters tall. The leaves are 5-50 centimeters long and 3-25 centimeters board, dark green, and glossy with a leathery texture. The flowers are in small groups white or pale yellow, with 5-12 lobes (petals) from 5.12 centimeters in diameter. They usually bloom in mid-spring to mid-summer. Many species have a strong aroma.
To cultivate gardenia as a house plant is not easy. This species can be difficult to grow because it originated in warm humid tropical areas. It demands high humidity and bright(not direct) light to thrive. It flourishes in acidic soil with good drainage and thrives at 20° – 23° C during the day and 15° – 16° C in the evening. Potting soils developed specifically for gardenias are available. It grows no larger than 1 inch in height and width when grown indoor In climates where it can be grown outdoor, it can reach the height of 6 feet. If water hits the flowers. they will turn brown.
5. How tall is the gardenia tree?
- 3-25 cm
- 5-12 cm
- 5-50 cm
- 1-5 m
6. What is the main idea of the last paragraph?
- It is easy to plant a gardenia tree
- A gardenia plant needs high humidity
- It’s not easy to plant gardenia as a house plant
- A good drainage is important for a gardenia plant
7. From the text we know that …
- People don’t like the strong scent of flowers.
- Gardenia is widespread in Asia.
- The flower is easy to plant.
- The flower is expensive.
8. … because It originated in warm (paragraph 3. line 10) The underlined word refers to ….
- the flower
- the species
- the soil
- the leaf
The following text for question number 9 to 13
The Songkran festival is celebrated in Thailand as the traditional New Year’s Day. It is celebrated from 13 to 15 April it coincides with the New Year of toasty calendars of South and Southeast Asian countries. It is believed to have been adapted from the Sankranti Hindu festival. It is now observed nationwide even in the far south.
However, the most famous Songkran celebrations are still in the northern city of Chiang Mai, where it lasts for six-day and even longer It has also become a party for foreigners and an additional mason for tourists to visit Thailand. The most obvious celebrations of Songkran is the throwing of water to other people Thais roam the streets with containers of water or water guns In addition many Thais will have small bowls of cheap beige colored talc and mixed with water which s then smeared on the faces and bodies of random passersby as a blessing for the new year. City officials close off many sections of the street for the festival.
Besides the throwing of water people celebrate Songran by going to a wall (Buddhist monastery) to pray and give food to mons They also cleanse Buddha images in the household shrines as well as Buddha mages as monasteries by gently pouring water mixed with a Thai fragrance over them. It is believed that doing this will bring good luck and prosperity in the New Year In many esters, such as Chiang Mal, the Buddha images from all of the city’s important monasteries are prepared through the streets so that people can toss water at them ritually ‘bathing- the images as they pass by
9. The suitable title for the text above is …
- New year celebration
- The Songkran Festival
- Sankranti Hindu festival
- Southeast Mat water festival
10. What is the main idea of paragraph 2?
- The celebration is longer than a week.
- People come to Thailand for the festival.
- People sell special tale for the Songkran festival.
- The most famous Songkran Celebration is in Chiang Mai
11. Where do people celebrate Songkran?
- In Southeast Asia
- In Chiang Mai
- In South Asia
- In Thailand
12. Why do they pour fragrant water over the Buddha images?
- Because they are in the party mood.
- Because the officials close the street
- Because it will bring them good luck.
- Because the images need some cleansing.
13. The purpose of the text is.
- To retell about an experience in Thailand.
- To inform readers about a celebration.
- To advertise a cultural event.
- To entertain the readers.
The following text is for question number 14 to
Tabuik ceremony is a tradition on the west coast of West Sumatra Indonesia, especially in Parrarnan. It is held at the Asura day which falls on the to of Muharram of the Islamic calendar. In Bengkulu, it was known as tabot. Tabuik is made of bamboo, rattan, and pepper. During the week of tabui many activities are held including kite race and other traditional activities. Tabuik is also a term used to refer to the high funeral biers carried around during the remembrance procession. On the appointed day, all participants of the ceremony gather in the center of the city. All government officials also attended the colossal ceremony in West Sumatera.
One Tabuik was carried by 40 people. Behind tabuik, a group of people wearing traditional clothes carry various of percussion. Occasionally when the line of people in the procession stopped, dozens of people perform martial arts accompanied by minang tetabuhan.
The sunset marks the end of the procession. The Tabuik was then brought to ashore and then floated out to sea. This is conducted as they believed that throwing tabuik into the sea will dispose of bad luck
14. What is the text about?
- West Sumatra martial arts.
- Tabuik ceremony in West Sumatra.
- Islamic ceremony in West Sumatra.
- A traditional ceremony during Asura.
15. What is the main idea of paragraph three?
- Tabuik ceremony is a tradition from West Sumatra.
- The Tabuik will bring bad luck if thrown to the sea.
- People wear traditional dress during the ceremony.
- The Tabuik ceremony is ended when the sunset.
16. Where was Tabuik come from?
- West coast
17. Why must Tabuik thrown into the sea?
- To symbolize the end of the ceremony.
- To show that the ceremony is over.
- To mark the disposal of bad luck.
- To complete the procession.
18. What is the purpose of the text?
- To describe Tabuik ceremony.
- To understand the Minangkabau culture.
- To explain the procession of throwing Tabuik.
- To give information about the local tradition in West Sumatra.
The following text is for questions number 19 to 22.
A forest is an area that is full of trees. We can find it in the islands of Indonesia. They spread along the island of Sumatera, Java, Kalimantan. Irian, and other islands in Indonesia. They are very important in our lives.
Forest gives us many kinds of export commodities such as timber. rattans, as well as rubber Forests also protect us from the danger of floods In the rainy season the roots of the trees in the forest absorb the rainwater and store it under the ground In the dry season the water will come out and it is very useful for us for reservoir and irrigation. If there are no forests, the rainwater cannot be stored, there will be an erosion of the soil and we will suffer from terrible floods.
Forests also help us to purify the air of pollution. The trees of the forests need carbon dioxide from the air and send the oxygen out into the air, which makes the air fresh and pure. The fresh and pure or is needed for our health.
We can also find many kinds of fauna and flora in the forests. Animals and plants need forests to live. To ensure the continued existence of the animal and plants in the forests, we have to protect it from destruction. Realizing that the forest gives us a lot of important things, we should keep our forest safe. Our forest is our environment
19. Which paragraph tells that forests can be a source of income for the government?
- Paragraph 1
- Paragraph 2
- Paragraph 3
- Paragraph 4
20 We must protect our forest from destruction because …
- We can find a lot of trees in the forests
- They spread along with the islands in Indonesia
- They are very important for our lives.
- We can find many kinds of fauna in the forest.
21. The function of the roots of the trees is …
- To make the air fresh and pure.
- To cause erosions on the ground.
- To store water before it is supplied to people.
- To absorb and reserve the tarn under the ground
22. They spread along with the islands of Sumatra What does the word they refer to?
- The trees
- The islands
- The forests
- The people
The following text Is for question number 23 to 25
Most people don’t notice that giraffes have different patterns of spots, Certain species of giraffes have small spots Other species have large spots. Some species have spots that are very regular. You can tell where one spot ends and another begins.
Other species have spots that are kind of blotchy. This means the spots are not set off from each other as clearly These are only two of many kinds of spots The pattern of giraffe’s spots is called “marking” No two giraffes have exactly the same marking.
Giraffe’s spots help them to blend in with the surroundings in Africa where they live Being able to blend with surroundings helps animals survive. If a lion can’t see a giraffe, he certainly can’t eat it This is called ‘protective coloration The animal’s color helps to protect it.
Another thing that protects giraffes is their keen eyesight. Their large eyes are on the sides of their heads. Giraffes see anything that moves They can see another animal a mile away It is very hard to sneak up on a giraffe. Those who try usually get a quick kick with a powerful back leg.
23. Where are the giraffe’s eyes?
- Around its long neck
- On the front part of its head
- On the left side of this head
- On the sides of its head
24. Giraffes protect themselves with their …
- back legs
- front legs
- long necks
- spot patterns
25. What is protective coloration?
- An ability to see from a long distance.
- An ability to blend with surroundings.
- The color pattern of giraffe’s spot.
- The way to protect certain species.